Need help waking up in the morning? Using aromatherapy to help you get out of bed can be a real game changer.?
Let?s face it: Winter is here, and the days are shorter. In fact the shortest and darkest day is only one week away. Between the cooler temperatures and the later sunrise, lingering in a warm cozy bed longer during the dark cold morning hours is so much more appealing than mustering the motivation to jump start the day.
And yet, we all know that creating a positive and empowering morning self-care ritual can not only inspire us to get out of bed, on time, but also can help us set clear intentions for the day with energy and clarity.
Here are some go-to essential oil recipes and applications aimed to help you jump start your day, leaving you empowered, focused and ready to take on the world!?
Make a Personal Inhaler:
This personal inhaler recipe features a soothing, awakening blend of essential oils to gently clear the heavy fog of sleep from your body and mind. The ritual helps remind us to connect with our breath and feel grateful for the new day ahead.
- 16 drops Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) – For inspiring a peaceful sense of calm and a positive mindset.
- 10 drops Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga manziesii) – For offering an experience of breathing space and inner strength, so we can feel both confident and mindful. Awakens our breathing passages and can stimulate the flow of energy.
- 12 drops Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis) – For uplifting our mood, stimulating flow of energy and digestion, and keeping us positive.
- ?A personal inhaler (link to what I am talking about)
- A small metal or glass bowl
- A metal spoon or stirrer (it?s not advisable to use wood)
- A pair of tweezers, or small tongs
- A label
1. Place your essential oil drops into your bowl.
2. Use your metal spoon to blend all the essential oils together well.
3. Once all blended, drop your cotton wick insert into the bowl and push it around with the metal spoon until all the essential oils are absorbed throughout the wick.
4. Carefully lift the wick out of the bowl with tweezers or small tongs and place inside the inhaler tube, capping securely.
5. Create a name for your morning ritual and write it on your label and attach to inhaler tube.
Prepare your inhaler the night before and set it next to your alarm. As soon as your alarm rings in the morning, grab your personal inhaler and take at least 5 slow, even inhalations. As you inhale and exhale, practice a moment of gratitude and feel a connection to your breathing.
Your inhaler, if kept tightly closed after each use, should last at least a month to 6 weeks. Once the aroma begins to fade, you can replace with a new wick.
Make an Aromatherapy Roll-On:
A blend of essential oils to stimulate and open your airways, encouraging you to gently move, stretch your body and get your blood flowing.
- 10 drops Spearmint (Mentha spicata) – More gentle and warming than peppermint, this oil can clear the fog from our minds and encourage us to inhale more deeply. Fresh and awakening.
- 8 drops Eucalyptus radiata (Eucalyptus radiata) – Connects us directly with our respiratory system, clearing away stagnancy, encouraging deeper inhales and slower exhales. Fresh and awakening; stimulates mind.
- 16 drops Grapefruit (Citrus paradisii) – Uplifting and positive, stimulating to digestion and circulation; joyful, clean and helps us let go (detox) to move forward.
- A glass roll-on bottle, 10ml
- A glass pirex measuring cup, or a glass beaker – something glass that has a little spout!
- A metal spoon for stirring (it?s not advisable to use wood).
- Measuring spoons
- Your favorite carrier oil (examples are jojoba, almond, argan – any will do!)
- A label
- In your glass measuring cup or beaker, add 2 tsp of your favorite carrier oil.
- Add your essential oils.
- Use your metal spoon to blend all the oils together well.
- Once blended, carefully pour into the small opening of the glass roll-on bottle.
- Snap in the roll-on cap, screw on the lid, and shake gently.
- Create a name for your morning ritual, and write it on your label and attach to your bottle.
Prepare your roll-on the night before and set it next to your bed. First thing in the morning, take your roll-on and roll it directly under the center area on your upper chest directly beneath your clavicle bone. You can also roll it anywhere else you feel the need. Sitting in bed, slowly inhale as you raise your arms above your head, and lower your arms on the exhale. Do this 3 times.
Both recipes are also great for yoga or morning exercise routines. Whatever your morning looks like, you’ll love the awakening and refreshing effects of these blends. Breathe in deeply, and feel good about the start of your day.
Want to learn more about how aromatherapy can transform your health and well being? Click here to get on the waitlist for Aromatherapy in Action!
This Blog is a reprint of a post that Amy wrote for Pranarom’s Blog: Lab Notes